I attended a class on epigenetics – turning off cancer genes – by Dr. Nalini Chilkov. Dr. Chilkov wrote the bestseller, 32 Ways to Outsmart Cancer, and was featured in the film The Truth About Cancer and had a lot of great things to teach. I want to share some of her natural healing tips that she uses with her cancer patients in this article.
Here are Some Natural Healing Remedies from Dr. Chilkov
- Most cancers are caused by as many as 500 gene products. Once we know the genetics of the patient, we can begin looking at how to activate tumor suppressor genes (those genes we all have that can help stop tumor growth). And turn off tumor growth genes (those genes we all have that could contribute to tumor growth).
- Each patient must be approached differently based on their particular health and symptoms (e.g., cancer in a person with diabetes should be treated differently than cancer in a person with depression – different symptoms and genetic expressions require different approaches, which can be done with a natural, tailored approach).
- Dr. Chilkov focuses on the major healing players that do the most good in multiple areas of the body. One example is anti-inflammatory foods, herbs, and spices. Here are some she uses often: curcumin (turmeric), green tea, black-eyed peas, leafy greens, fiber from whole gluten-free grains, cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, kale, collards), garlic, onions, resveratrol.
- Avoid sweets, sugars, and starches (to keep insulin low – focus on a low glycemic diet)
- Eat healthy, unrefined fats and oils daily. (extra virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds and unrefined nut/seed oils, organic pastured eggs, avocados, virgin coconut oil). No trans fats, margarine or shortening.
- Small amounts of only clean, organic, grass-fed or pasture fed animal protein. No factory farmed animals. No animals injected with hormones or antibiotics.
- Make sure to focus on your HEALTH – No matter which route you choose for cancer treatment, consider working with an integrative medicine doctor who focuses on restoring health rather than on disease.
- Nutrients that help tumor suppressor genes to do their job (suppressing tumor growth): green coffee beans, coffee, berries, Boswellia serrata, Lonicerafl, Epimedium, Chrysanthemum fl, Hawthorne Berry, Artemesia, Brazil nuts, pears, sunflower seeds.
- The Basics Matter – stop smoking, exercise, get sunlight, love yourself, get still time (meditation, etc.), reduce stress, get 7 – 9 hours of sleep each night, cultivate a network of support, eat organic, non-GMO foods and express gratitude.
No matter which class I take in epigenetics, functional medicine and nutrigenomics, all of these doctors and health practitioners are emphasizing that the basics matter. If we just start there, we go a long way toward health and prevention of disease.
Let’s all affirm:
I love myself, therefore, I take loving care of my body and mind.
This picture is of Dr. Chilkov and me after class. She told me that she met Louise Hay decades ago and we thought Louise would have loved seeing this picture of us!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019