Studies show that chokecherries (also known as aronia berries) have cancer preventative properties. Chokecherries were once a regular staple in indigenous diets. Today, there are efforts to bring these indigenous healing foods back to the table.
Read more about chokecherries here, but skip the recipe in this article, because it uses sugar and flour, which are not traditional foods.
Instead, you can follow this recipe:
- 2 cups chokecherries (aronia berries) – use fresh, frozen or dried (You can get dried chokecherries online. Look in your health food store’s freezer section as well)
- 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or dates (add more if needed, to taste)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds or ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- Optional: 1/4 cup coconut oil, grassfed raw butter or ghee
- Combine the chokecherries with 2-3 cups filtered water in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Cook gently until chokecherries soften.
- Add the sweetener (honey, maple syrup or dates).
- When everything is soft, reduce the heat to low and begin adding the chia or flax seeds and almond flour, mixing until thickened.
- Taste and additional sweetener, if needed. If you tend to have low blood sugar or are working on boosting energy and brain health, add in 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter, or ghee.
- Serve warm or store in your refrigerator and eat cold or at warm to room temperature.
(Visited 1,633 times, 1 visits today)
The following two tabs change content below.
As a coach, writer and recovered former executive, I understand the challenges of creating a balanced, healthy lifestyle when over-scheduled. In my journey to radiant health, I created a whole health system of eating, exercise, renewal and recharging -- a roadmap toward health & vitality. I empower clients to create their own whole health systems, in their own unique ways. I have seen amazing results in working with my clients!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019