My client, Maryann, came to me concerned about constant food allergies and what appeared to be early symptoms of arthritis. In the last 2 years, her digestion was suffering, and her energy was so low that she didn’t feel like she had the energy to cook. At the same time, she was drawn to using food to heal her symptoms.
In the past few years, more research is coming about about the link between Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and gut issues. In a 2013 study, scientists found that it’s likely an upset in gut flora (the mix of good and bad bugs in your gut that help create homeostasis/balanced health). Specifically, they noted an increase in the bad bacteria, Prevotella copri in patients with RA.
The research found that as the Prevotella copri (bad bacteria) increased, the following 3 things happened:
- Good gut bacteria decreased. One of the good guys that decreased is Bacteroides — which help keep us naturally slim!
- Inflammation occurred (the root cause of all disease, including arthritis!).
- Genetic autoimmune conditions, like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, and Multiple Sclerosis could be triggered (a gene switch could get turned on).
In other words, Maryann’s intuition was right – improving her gut health with nutrition could be exactly the path back to turning off gene switches for arthritis!
It’s also an ideal way to start boosting energy, but we have to start where we are. So with Maryann, I created a nutritional healing protocol that involved easy, quick recipes that she could make in 5 minutes or less, along with healthy, nourishing foods she could purchase.
One of the keys to Maryann’s recovery protocol was to get more collagen into her body. Collagen does just what she needs – helps to heal her gut, boosts the nutritional value of other foods she’s eating and I’ve seen it heal arthritis for dozens of clients!
Here’s a fast, easy, summer smoothie recipe that tastes like an orange creamcicle and takes less than 5 minutes to make. You can use Collagen Peptides, which is easy and flavorless for a great source of protein and healing collagen.
Do you have gut issues, arthritis or any health symptoms showing up lately that you’re curious about? I’d love to hear your questions! Share your favorite summer smoothies too!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019