The Happiness Hormone
If you’re low in serotonin, the happiness hormone, your body may signal you with cravings for sweets and starchy foods (bread, bagels, cookies, and the like). In order to make serotonin, your brain needs your body to deliver to it the essential amino acid tryptophan. However, because other amino acids compete to get into your brain, the only way to deliver tryptophan to it is if you have insulin in your blood. This means you need a starchy snack.
Unfortunately, most people reach for unhealthy starches, which can fuel addiction, candida, and an eventual blood-sugar crash. Instead, you can support your body with a healthy starchy snack to boost serotonin without the crash.
This dish is designed for a meal or snack that is delicious, helps boost serotonin faster than grains, and doesn’t feed candida.
If you’re having a stressful day, you may want to have this with your grain meal or as a late-afternoon or evening snack. This naturally sweet and savory mood booster recipe makes a great bridge from the taste of packaged foods to the taste of healthier foods.
Your taste buds do change as your diet changes, and this recipe can help move you in the right direction!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 – 4
- 4 red-skinned potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. Herbamare herb sea salt
- 2 tsp. or up to 2 tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
- In a saucepan, melt 1 tsp. ghee. Add spices and onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 1.5 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add potato and carrots and cook until all ingredients are tender.
- Add additional ghee at the end of cooking.
Serve with cooked greens, like the Green Beans and Leeks recipe in my book, or place over a raw spring-mix salad.
This article started from a conversation we had on Facebook!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019