After decades of being addicted to sugar and flour — to the point where I felt like I couldn’t stop eating it, I learned to go back to ancestral foods and make dessert recipes that were more balanced, kept blood sugar levels stable, and eliminated the cravings I had. This recipe is designed to bring balance.
You can eliminate some of the spices if you like. Below, I will tell you what the spices do, so you can see why I added them.
Sunflower Seed Balls and Sunflower Butter Fudge Recipe
- 2 cups sunflower butter (just sunflower seeds, no sugar added) – you can make this yourself with 3 cups hulled sunflower seeds (roast in oven at 350 degrees F until golden brown, about 20 minutes, then put in a high speed blender or food processor and blend into butter). You can find SunButter or Once Again Sunflower Seed butter at a health food store or online at Vitacost.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, supports thyroid health)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can add up to 1/4 cup additional maple syrup if you want it sweeter. Taste first and add more if needed. If you’re coming off a processed food diet, you may like things sweeter at first and your tastes may change over time to want things less sweet.)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (helps with magnesium and zinc levels)
- 1/4 tsp fennel powder (supports digestion, eliminates gas and bloating)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder (reduces histamine/allergies, supports digestion, freshens breath)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon (supports digestion and blood sugar levels/anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, full of antioxidants)
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger or an inch of fresh ginger, minced – (supports digestion, a powerful anti-inflammatory)
- 1 tsp sea salt (This helps ground your energy and is a great source of trace minerals. Start with 1 teaspoon and taste after all ingredients are blended, then add 1/2 tsp more, taste, then add a little more if you need it, up to 2 teaspoons. This will customize the sea salt to your taste, adds more minerals and keeps the recipe balanced. *Make sure your sunflower butter does not already have added salt before you make this recipe. If it has salt, leave this out until you taste the blended fudge after mixing all ingredients. Then you can add more to taste if needed.)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until fully blended. You can alternatively use a food processor with S-blade to blend everything together.
Seed Balls Ingredients:
- 1 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut flakes
- Mix all seed ball ingredients in a bowl, then add in some of the fudge mixture (e.g., start with 1/2 cup of fudge). Mix together and form into balls. You control the amount of seeds based on your tastes. You could have more seeds and less fudge, or more fudge and less seeds.
If desired, sprinkle extra shredded coconut flakes over the top of the balls.
- Chill in the refrigerator to firm up the fudge and/or seed balls.
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019