This spicy almonds and walnuts recipe makes a savory-sweet snack that you can also make into stuffing!
Time to prepare
Overnight for soaking the almonds and 10 minutes for making the actual recipe.
- 2 cups almonds (or 1 cup almonds, 1 cup walnuts – this is a nice variation if you are going to make stuffing)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- ½ – 1 tsp ginger (taste first and add more if you really like ginger, it’s great for digestion)
- ½ tsp fenugreek
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- The night before making these nuts, soak your almonds (or almonds and walnuts) in filtered water by covering them with water in a glass bowl and putting a top on the bowl (you can use a plate if your bowl does not have a top). This will remove the phytic acid that makes nuts hard to digest. After 8 – 12 hours of soaking, drain the water and rinse the almonds. They are now ready to use for your recipe!
- Add the olive oil and spices into a skillet and warm up the spices and oil on low heat until they are fragrant and mixed together.
- Add the soaked almonds (or almonds and walnuts) into the skillet and heat up the mixture on low until the nuts are warm and all of the spices and oil is mixed in.
- Allow nuts to cool and store them in a glass container (Ball jars work well for this!).
- You can make these in bulk and freeze them for on the go snacks or put them in individual serving sized glass containers in your refrigerator for the week to come, if you want to have easy to grab snacks during the week. They will store in your refrigerator for about a week and in your freezer for about 6 months.
- If you want to make stuffing, pulse the nuts in your food processor with the S-blade until the nuts become crumbs. Use this in place of bread in a stuffing recipe or combine with cardamom carrots (see recipe) for a delicious Moroccan inspired stuffing for chicken, turkey or game hens.
(Visited 263 times, 1 visits today)
The following two tabs change content below.
As a coach, writer and recovered former executive, I understand the challenges of creating a balanced, healthy lifestyle when over-scheduled. In my journey to radiant health, I created a whole health system of eating, exercise, renewal and recharging -- a roadmap toward health & vitality. I empower clients to create their own whole health systems, in their own unique ways. I have seen amazing results in working with my clients!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019