Hay House Radio Episode Recap
- Episode Name: “From Sick and Stressed to Unstoppable”
- Live Broadcast: June 19th, 2018 at 12:00 pm Pacific Time
Episode Summary Re-cap
Why are diabetes, food allergies, depression, anxiety, digestive problems and autism on the rise?Why are diabetes, food allergies, depression, anxiety, digestive problems and autism on the rise? Moms Across America founder and author, Zen Honeycutt, began asking these questions years ago when she and her kids experienced chronic health challenges. Since then, Zen has joined with scientists, farmers, health professionals, and moms across the country to reveal how today’s diet is affecting our health. Find out some little-known links between GMO foods and chronic conditions and learn what it takes to create unstoppable health, energy, and passion in your life.
Special Guest: Zen Honeycutt
Zen Honeycutt, is the Founder and Director of Moms Across America, a non-profit National Coalition of Unstoppable Moms. With the motto “Empowered Moms, Healthy Kids ” Moms Across America has grown rapidly, over 400 leaders have created 700+ community events in all 50 states in the first 3 years of inception. Moms Across America empowers and amplifies the voice of the mom locally and nationally to create healthy communities by raising awareness about GMOs and related pesticides in our food.
Zen has three boys with allergies and autism symptoms which greatly improved when they went GMO-Free and organic. She discovered that thousands of Moms are seeing the same results and MAA is expanding to Mothers Across the World with co-creator Vandana Shiva. Zen has been featured on CNN, the Dr.Oz show, the Wall Street Journal, CSPAN, and Moms Across America has been on Fox News, Reuter’s, ABC and more. She is an international speaker, powerful leadership coach, and writer. Her new book is called Unstoppable: Transforming Sickness and Struggle into Triumph, Empowerment and a Celebration of Community.
What are GMO Foods and Who are the Companies Behind Them?
Zen explained that Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) foods have been engineered in one of the following ways:
- A Pesticide is Built into the Seed (Bt GMOs) – the pest ingests the toxin, its stomach explodes, and it dies.
- The Seed is Roundup Ready (HT GMOs) – Roundup is Monsanto’s (now Bayer’s) patented process of engineering seeds so that they can withstand the toxic herbicide, Roundup, which contains glyphosate that typically kills every plant it touches. 80% of GMO foods are Roundup Ready seeds and have been sprayed with glyphosate.
- Modified to Make a Crop Better (like DT or VR GMOs) – this is when the plant has been engineered for a better outcome, like apples that don’t get brown or that are resistant to drought (DT) or viruses (VR). These may not have glyphosate, but there’s evidence that changing the genetics of the plant leads to over 675 off-target mutations. In other words, these plants may have adverse health effects on the ecosystem, including humans and animals.
Some of the companies making GMO foods are Monsanto (now Bayer), Dow, Dupont, and Syngenta. Zen pointed out that Syngenta owns AstraZeneca, a big pharmaceutical company. This is a conflict of interest because the company making GMO foods that are contributing to illnesses is also making the pharmaceuticals marketed to make them better. It’s important to keep this in mind when it comes to the companies that are messing with our food supply.
Going back decades, farmers could save seeds because no one owned a patent for Mother Nature’s food. These days, large agro-companies are trying to patent the food system so that they can profit from the food system. No longer can farmers save seeds and they now pay up to 375% more for seeds patented by these large companies.
Is Non-GMO Okay?
The answer is no. Non-GMO foods may still be sprayed with glyphosate to make harvesting and drying easier, particularly grain foods, like wheat.
One of Zen’s three sons has autism symptoms at one point and upon testing, they found he had eight times the amount of glyphosate in his system than had ever been found in European tests. It was then that Zen switched her family to all organic foods and within months, her son’s symptoms went away and his tests showed he’d detoxed the glyphosate.
Are GMO Foods a Threat? Symptoms Related to GMO Foods
Zen began researching GMO foods and talking with scientists, farmers, and other moms around the world when her son almost died from eating pecans they didn’t realize were in Thanksgiving stuffing.
At first, she had resigned herself to the fact that her son would need to avoid certain foods, like nuts, for the rest of his life. But then she began to wonder if this was true. “You know what they say about moms,” Zen said, “a worried mom does better research than the FBI.”
Where she once thought food was a threat, she began to realize that it was only certain foods – like GMO foods – and if they could change their family’s food, maybe her son could get better.
Zen asked her son if he’d like to eat a piece of pizza one day without symptom and he said yes. So she asked him to be her partner in his health. She asked him to try green drinks and other gut-healing foods. Within four months, his allergy symptoms were drastically reduced (from a 19 to a .2 in testing, which surprised her doctor because allergies usually just get worse).
Here are symptoms that Zen shared as quite probably linked to GMO foods:
- Endocrine disorders and infertility – glyphosate is a hormone disruptor
- Mineral deficiencies (glyphosate chelates minerals from body and soil)
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma – there’s already a class action lawsuit against Monsanto because of the links between this cancer and glyphosate
- Low iron anemia
- Leaky gut and gut dysbiosis
- E. coli and salmonella
- SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s and colitis
- Mood disorders and possibly violence – from serotonin and melatonin disruption
- Stomach ulcers and stomach cancer
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
Learn more about the research behind this list of symptoms,
along with the Secret Monsanto Documents.
How to Heal from Symptoms
Zen suggests that you take the following steps:
- Go all organic. It may cost a bit more, but you could find out you end up eating less, saving on over-the-counter and pharmaceutical drugs, and you’ll definitely reap rewards in feeling much better.
- Know your farmer. Talk to your farmer and find out about their farming practices.
- Grow your own food. Start with organic seeds and save money overall by growing your own food. This can be rewarding for the whole family!
- Repair your gut. Gut health is 70% of your immunity and repairing your gut can help dampen inflammation and improve your overall health and moods. Zen lists products on her website that helped her and her family restore their gut health, like Restore and GI Revive. To learn more, read: Gut Healing Do’s and Don’ts.
- Detox – Gentle detoxification can start with simply eating organic foods. Zen offers tips on her website and you can also listen to a free gentle detox podcast with natural strategies here.
- Reduce Inflammation – Zen recommends keeping a food log, so you can learn more about how foods create symptoms in your body. In this way, you can find out which foods are creating inflammatory responses and avoid them in your healing process.
How to Become Unstoppable
Zen Honeycutt sure knows a lot about creating an unstoppable mindset. There are some key components to starting her successful non-profit, Moms Across America, that she shared with us. These are great tips for anything you want to accomplish, even if you feel sick, stressed, or worried that you can’t achieve a big dream.
Zen’s tips for becoming unstoppable:
Link Your Goal to a Higher Purpose
Zen realized that it wasn’t just her kids that were sick from food, it was their future spouses, future children, and the community that were affected by toxic foods. In other words, this problem affected everyone. Once Zen realized this, she was spurred on to take action and start Moms Across America.
Create a Clear Vision
Zen realized she had leadership skills and could be doing more to reach people, but wasn’t sure how. So she asked herself two important questions: If I were to use my leadership skills, what actions would I be taking? What would it look like? These questions helped her come up with a creative solution: join into local parades! She started a movement to march in 4th of July parades, engaged moms in 37 states to march, and got audience and media attention on the topic of GMO foods.
Reach Out to Like-Minded people
Moms are passionate about their children’s health and responsible for 85% of family shopping. Zen realized if she reached out to other concerned moms, she’d be able to tap into the strength of a passionate group. This helped grow Moms Across America within just a few months to over 300,000 people finding her in Facebook. Zen also reached out to people who believed in what she was doing for funding her non-profit work. This helped her continue to offer leadership in the movement.
Get Into the Community
Zen started a movement in communities around the country, inspiring local gatherings from marching in parades, movie nights, park play dates, and more. The sense of community and these gatherings kept the movement alive and connected people.
Put One Foot in Front of the Other
Zen had many roadblocks along the way. She’s forthcoming about times she was exhausted, in tears, and had setbacks. She talks about how these times led to breakthroughs that brought more successes. Being unstoppable is about being willing to show up for the next thing in front of you. And the next. Each small step matters. And each time you see a roadblock, think about how to get back up and who can support you in moving beyond it. There’s an excellent story about Zen traveling overseas to go to a Syngenta shareholders meeting to talk about GMO foods. The trip wasn’t easy, nor was anything about her experience. You can read about this in her book, Unstoppable, and you’ll find more inspiration if you have a big dream.
Read Unstoppable: Transforming Sickness and Struggle into Triumph, Empowerment, and a Celebration of Community
(profits support Moms Across America’s non-profit work)
What to Do If You’re Already Experiencing Chronic Health Issues
Join our non-profit, like-minded community as we gather together to discover what it takes to get and stay well.
Join Us for the Replay of Diving Deeper: Your Immune System Health Featuring Dr. Judy Mikovits – In this revealing session, we will dive even deeper into the inner workings of your immune system. We’ll review what we’ve learned so far and cover some of the latest findings on immune health. During this class, we’ll also discuss what’s been working or not working in your current nutrition, supplement, and self-care routines. We’ll take a look at a case study on cancer and discuss how to deal with emotions, like fear, anger, and anxiety, that can show up on our healing journey.
This class features world-renowned immunologist, biochemist and molecular biologist, Dr. Judy Mikovits.
In this revealing live, online streaming video class, you will learn:
- Going Deeper into Immune Health – What does immune health really mean? Why do some things work and others don’t? How do you modify foods and remedies to your own situation?
- Dealing with Fear in the Healing Process – Fear, anger, and anxiety are often part of the journey after a diagnosis or health crisis. Perhaps you feel like your body has betrayed you, or you keep trying things and taking one step forward and two steps back. We’re going to address and honor this, along with some honest discussion about how to work through challenging emotions.
- Cancer Case Study – We will discuss a case study of a client diagnosed with cancer.
Hay House Wisdom Community Members can listen to this show again anytime, and you can download and podcast this and over 10,000 archived audios from your favorite authors.
Tune in Next Week
Tune in next week to 21st Century Medicine Woman, when you have another chance to hear Energy Therapist, Amy B. Scher and I reveal energy healing and Native American medicine techniques to let go of control, step into your natural power, and experience the confidence of going with the flow. If you have been getting through life by controlling everything? Or making backup plans for your backup plans? Do you freak out when you don’t know the answer or how to take the next step? This episode is for you!
JOIN ME EVERY TUESDAY AT 12PM PACIFIC
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019