Hay House Radio Episode Recap
- Episode Name: “Rx for Winter Skin: Home Remedies for Beautiful Skin & Hair”
- Live Broadcast: January 11th, 2016 at 3:00 pm Pacific Time
Special Guest: Lorene Davies – Trainer, Author and Entrepreneur with expertise in soul-based business, holistic health, essential oils, nutrition and energy healing. Lorene has been the visionary behind bringing pure healing essential oil blends to the market and establishing healing protocols with essential oils that have helped thousands of people improve their health and well being.
Lorene is also the author of Nature’s Farmacy, a comprehensive, easy to use essential oils and health reference guide addressing hundreds of health conditions; practical organic beauty secrets, health remedies, healing protocols, nutritional insights, and detox regimens. Lorene’s Website | Facebook
Episode Summary Re-cap
exposed to up to 123 toxins!In Rx for Winter Skin and Hair, we discussed the potential root causes and natural remedies for healthy skin and hair. Are you having any skin challenges right now? Acne, rosacea, psoriasis, eczema, hives or dry skin? What about your hair health? Are you experiencing, dry, thinning hair or is your hair falling out? Do you have more skin challenges in the winter?
We talked about how to nourish and support your skin and hair this winter and all year long.
Before leaving home each morning, the average person is exposed to up to 123 toxins in personal care products. Your skin essentially eats what you put on it, sometimes in as little as 26 seconds! This means that if you use skincare and hair care products with toxic chemicals in them, you are absorbing these chemicals into your body. We’ll show you how to spot them and give you some better options.
Discover recipes for home remedies that will allow you to create healing homemade skin and hair products!
What We Covered in This Episode
Reasons We Can Have Trouble with Our Skin or Hair
- Stress – the root cause of all dis-ease, burns minerals and B vitamins
- Digestive Issues – leaky gut, malabsorption, bloating, indigestion, constipation
- Mineral deficiencies or imbalances – magnesium, copper, zinc and potassium are most common
- Vitamin deficiencies – especially vitamin C and B vitamin deficiencies. Make sure to choose wholefood Vitamin C, like Innate Response Brand or MegaFood brand.
- Thyroid issues
- Hormone imbalances
- Basics – Poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of sleep
- Smoking or environmental toxins
- Climate – dry climates
- Too much sun exposure
- Buildup of toxins – this can create liver congestion, which seems to be an issue for most skin issues. Cleansing the liver can help cleanse the skin.
- Not cleansing properly or moisturizing (I have a story about using sesame oil as a cleanser and moisturizer and how it affected my skin and hair)
- Using personal care products with toxic chemicals (EWG Skin Deep)
- Asthma and breathing issues are often related to eczema
Common Toxins in Personal Care Products
123 toxins in personal care products before leaving the house in the morning!
- Benzyl Acetate
- Triclosan – antimicrobial agent
- Phthalates and Parabens
- Sulfates – sodium laurel sulfate sodium laureth sulfate
- Propylene Glycol – petroleum by-product
- Fragrances – important to know what this means
If you want to learn whether the brand you are using or ingredients on the label are safe, check out the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database.
Tips for Using Nutrition to Heal Your Skin and Hair from the Inside Out
- Allergens – Foods you are allergic to. Some common allergens behind skin and hair issues are dairy, gluten, corn and soy
- Sugar and other refined sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup
- Probiotics – cultured vegetables are a great place to start. There are also probiotic supplements. To learn more, read: Should I Take Probiotics?
- Drink plenty of pure, filtered water and be sure to remineralize your water (see below).
- Minerals – No table salt. Table salt contains only 2 minerals, sodium and chloride (sometimes potassium iodide), along with binders and fillers. It is behind all the health issues we hear about today. Instead, choose real sea salt or pink Himalayan salt.
- Psoriasis (chile, coriander, sage, turmeric)
- Rash – turmeric (mix with black pepper)
- Rosacea – coriander
- Scars – onion
- Scleroderma – turmeric
- Itching – turmeric
- Constipation – aniseed, black pepper, caraway, cardamom, coriander, parsley, tamarind (1/4 tsp in the am and 1 ounce throughout the day)
- Eczema – black cumin seed, coriander, age, turmeric, wasabi
- Fungal infection – juniper berry, marjoram and coconut oil
Focus on whole foods and eliminating sugar, gluten and processed flour products.
With inflammatory bowel disease, SIBO and small intestine issues, it can be helpful to remove all grains and starches for a period of time (use butternut squash for serotonin/happiness hormone).
With candida, it may be helpful to remove gluten, sugar, dairy and focus on gluten free grains. No matter which diet you follow, whole food and plenty of green vegetables are important.
Incredibly helpful for skin, hair, nails: Bone broth is a bioavailable source of collagen. Collagen is the body’s most abundant protein. While it’s often referred to as “connective tissue,” we like to think of collagen as “the great supporter.” It supports, strengthens, cushions, provides structure, and holds the body together.
Collagen makes up bones, teeth, tendons, ligaments, joints, and cartilage; and is key for beautiful hair, skin, and nails. It strengthens muscles, aids cell growth, and supports the hollow organs of your digestive system (that is, your esophagus, stomach, and small and large intestines).
Bone broth contains bioavailable minerals, amino acids and other nutrients.
Recipes for Internal Skin Nourishment
RECIPE #1 – For Itching, Hives or Histamine Issues
- Add ½ tsp. ground cardamom and ½ tsp. ground fenugreek to 1 cup of meat stock or the Healing Elixir Vegetable Stock.
RECIPE #2 – Skin and Hair Health Elixir
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 ⁄8 tsp. ground juniper berry
- 1 ⁄8 tsp. cloves
- Dash sea salt
- Heat up on low in a saucepan, mixing well.
- Blend everything in a blender, if possible. (Safety tip: Remove the center cap and cover the opening with a folded tea towel before turning on your blender. This will allow air to escape so that the hot liquid doesn’t cause the top to blow off your blender.)
- Sip and enjoy!
For a limited time, with your purchase of The Bone Broth Secret, Louise and I are giving away a booklet with 25 additional free recipes, including our So Smooth Skin Remedy. This is great for smoother, softer, firmer skin and reduces the appearance of cellulite. While we give you options to customize the recipe, it contains coffee essential oil (boosts the master detox antioxidant, glutathione), juniper and lavender as the base, along with sweet almond oil and bone broth.
Then we have options you can add, like turmeric and black pepper essential oil (anti-inflammatory and skin-healing stars), rosemary and sweet orange essential oil (another glutathione booster for detox).
Essential Oils & Recipes for Improved Skin and Hair
Essential oils and recipes that are helpful for improved skin and hair health: Download Lorene Davies’ free 35-page e-book with easy recipes to make your own skincare and hair care products at home!
Essential oils can provide a safe, pleasant and effective alternative to toxin-laden commercial deodorants. The incredibly engineered systems of the body are an amazingly intricate eco-system that function optimally when we take care of them. Download Lorene’s free chapter on deodorant.
Hair Growth & Fine Hair
Hair loss can be generated from a number of factors, including a diet lacking in full nutrition, hormonal imbalances, medical treatments and medications, overuse of chemical hair treatments, and stress, stress, stress. Download Lorene’s free chapter on hair growth and fine hair.
- Humidifier, especially in winter (good for East and West Coast)
- Shower filter (to filter out chlorine that dries out skin and hair)
Tune in next week to Loving Yourself to Great Health, I’ll be talking about how to beat stress naturally with sound healing expert and Louise Hay’s boyfriend, Dr. Jeffrey Thompson. Join us, for some much needed and little-known tips for stress relief!
Look up products by name or ingredients on your product labels.
JOIN ME EVERY TUESDAY AT 12PM PACIFIC
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019