Hay House Radio Episode Recap
- Episode Name: Natural Weight Loss
- Live Broadcast: August 1st, 2016 at 3:00 pm Pacific Time
Episode Replays: Mondays at 11:00 pm Pacific Time / 2:00 am Eastern Time and Sundays at 2:00 pm Pacific Time / 5:00 pm Eastern Time
Episode Summary Re-cap
Find out how naturopathic doctor and best-selling author, Dr. Kellyann Petrucci uses bone broth and other remedies to help her patients achieve natural weight loss, so they can look and feel younger, slimmer, and sexier than they have in years!
Special Guest: Dr. Kellyann Petrucci Kellyann Petrucci, M.S., N.D., is the author of Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Diet (Rodale, 2015). A weight-loss and natural anti-aging transformation expert, Dr. Petrucci has a private practice in the Birmingham, Michigan area and is a concierge doctor for celebrities in New York City and Los Angeles. She is a board-certified naturopathic physician and a certified nutrition consultant.
Dr. Petrucci is a regular guest on television shows including The Doctors, Dr. Oz, and national news programs. She is the driving force behind the website DrKellyann.com, and has authored six books for John Wiley & Sons. These include Living Paleo for Dummies—one of the highest-selling Dummies books of all time. In addition, she is a regular contributor to The Huffington Post and MindBodyGreen.
She is the creator of the 30 Day Reset Program, which helps people lose weight, regain their energy, and reverse the effects of aging.
Dr. Petrucci did postgraduate work in Europe, studying naturopathic medicine in England and Switzerland. She is one of the few practitioners in the United States certified in biological medicine by the esteemed Dr. Thomas Rau of the Paracelsus Klinik Lustmuhle in Switzerland.
Dr. Kellyann’s Natural Weight Loss Tips
Weight gain is not about calories-in and calories-out, it’s a condition of inflammation. The key to natural weight loss is to eat an anti-inflammatory diet and live an anti-inflammatory life. This means eating foods that are packed with nutrients and antioxidants and avoiding foods with chemicals and too many ingredients you can’t pronounce. And it means filling your mind with healthy, positive thoughts. Reducing inflammation helps you lose weight and look younger.
Focus on Building Energy
Getting plenty of sleep, meditating, and eating foods that help improve your energy has an exponential effect because energy begets energy. Anything you can do to boost energy will give you more energy to do the things you truly want to do in life, including giving you the energy to exercise.
Do a 21-Day Mini-Fast
Dr. Kellyann’s patients have had tremendous success with natural weight loss going on her 21-day mini-fast as outlined in her book, Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Diet: Lose Up to 15 Pounds, 4 Inches–and Your Wrinkles!–in Just 21 Days. Here are some guidelines for natural weight loss with Dr. Kellyann’s mini-fast:
- 2 days per week, sip only bone broth all day long. If you are really hungry, you can have a light meal before 7:00 pm. Make sure your light meal consists of a healthy protein, carbohydrate and fat. The 2 days do not need to be consecutive, just choose 2 days during the week that work for you. Your bone broth can be clear broth or with some light vegetables, if you like.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet the rest of the week (see below).
- Do this intermittent fast for 21 days, which gives time for your digestive tract to heal and renew.
Nutrient-Packed Foods that Build Energy & Help Fight Inflammation
- Bone Broth – One of the best natural remedies for reducing inflammation, promoting weight loss and healing digestion, bone broth is real broth made by simmering a mix of grassfed or pasture fed animal bones and water for several hours. See below for more.
- Omega 3 Fats – Omega 3 fatty acids help to plump up your skin and provide nutrition for your brain. Examples of foods high in omega 3 fats are fatty fish (like salmon, halibut, rainbow trout and Atlantic herring) and walnuts. There are also omega 3 supplements.
- Probiotics – Probiotics means “for life,” and you can find them in fermented foods, like real, raw pickles, kimchi and sauerkraut (the type of fermented vegetables made without white vinegar). You can also find probiotic supplements. Probiotic foods help build energy, improve digestion and clean up your gut microbiome.
- Green and Yellow Vegetables – Green and yellow vegetables are full of antioxidants, which reduce inflammation, and studies show they help reduce skin wrinkling as well.
Why Bone Broth for Natural Weight Loss?
Bone broth has been made and consumed in cultures all over the world. It was one of the foods our ancestors relied on for their strength and resilience. The cans of soup and bouillon cubes in grocery stores today are full of chemicals and excitotoxins, like MSG, which only add to inflammation in the body. Bone broth is packed with important nutrients that help heal the body, reduce inflammation, reduce weight, boost hydration, improve gut health and improve energy.
Make sure to choose bones from wild-caught, non-oily fish, grassfed meat or pasture fed poultry. Organic and/or hormone and antibiotic free are best.
Key aspects of bone broth that make it such a healing food:
- Gelatin (Collagen) – Gelatin is what you get when you slowly simmer bones in water for many hours. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and helps make your skin, hair and nails look younger. Collagen makes up your bones, joints, digestive organs, heart and eyes. Gelatin actually helps to improve the functioning of your small intestine and improves the nutrients of all of your food by helping to extract more nutrients. It’s a real inflammation fighter!
- Minerals – Mineral deficiency is a global health problem and one of the reasons the body loses energy, becomes overwhelmed with the smallest stressors and experiences inflammation. Bone broth is a gentle source of balanced minerals.
- Amino Acids – Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, which helps repair the body. Bone broth has a powerful mix of amino acids that are known to replenish the body, particularly when it’s under-nourished and needs deep support.
- Healthy Fats – Essential fatty acids are great for your body, reduce cravings and make excellent brain food. Bone broth is full of healthy, gelatinous fats, like bone marrow.
Health Tip of the Day
To support your body in moving into natural slim mode, consume easy, nutrient-packed collagen smoothies! This nourishing smoothie is a delicious way to promote better skin, hair, nails, bones, muscles and digestive power.
Hay House Wisdom Community Members can listen to this show again anytime, and you can download and podcast this and over 10,000 archived audios from your favorite authors.
Tune in Next Week
Tune in next week to Loving Yourself to Great Health, Michelle Lerach, Healthy Food & Sustainability Advocate and Founder of The Berry Good Food Foundation, will join me to reveal how you can eat healthy on a budget, and – how to create a healthy tribe in your local community: humane farmers, chefs, and foodies, so you can get quality ingredients for sustainability and good health!
JOIN ME EVERY TUESDAY AT 12PM PACIFIC
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019