After a couple of trips to the emergency room for a friend during the holidays, I learned quite a bit about the flu this season.
First of all, according to the ER nurses and doctors, the flu shot is only working 6% of the time. For this reason, the ER waiting room was chock full of people suffering from the flu. On my second visit with my friend, I sat next to 2 women coughing and sneezing. As I sat a chair away in the waiting room, I could feel the feeling of the flu…you know how you can just feel the unseen sometimes? It felt like it was pouring into my head and surrounding my body. In that moment, I decided I was going to nourish and take care of myself so well, that all would be well.
I went home and made my all-natural flu shot. I have a new addition to this mixture that I think has upped my immunity-game even more — bear root (also called Osha or lovage). I learned about bear root from my Oneida Nation sister-medicine woman, Lisa Latocha of Buffalo Spirit Herbs.
It worked! Even when I was hanging out with people with colds and flu the days after, I leaned on my immune-boosting routine** and it worked!
Here’s my immune-boosting routine:
Flu Shot Ingredients
- 2 oz. Water
- 2 dropperfuls of organic black elderberry extract (protects against the common cold and 9 strains of the flu — I’ve been using this for years!)
- 1/2 tsp Ginger-Tussin Syrup (organic ginger, bear root, wild cherry and raw honey…if you’re vegan and don’t eat honey, try Osha Root tincture with some strong ginger tea as your 2 oz water)
- 2 – 5 drops Ionic Zinc (liquid)
Other important immune boosters and inflammation busters:
- 1 – 2 cups chicken bone broth per day (studies show this combats colds, flu and bronchitis)
- 1 to 2 tablets Serraflazyme (serrapeptidase enzyme, which clears sinuses of pathogens and sweeps toxins out of the body, take away from meals).
- Alpha CF – homeopathic cold/flu remedy that you take at the very first sign of a cold/flu
- Sleep!!!! Get more sleep this winter — Nature wants us to sleep more, using the darker days as a signal for rest. When we sleep, we heal.
**This routine staved off a very bad cold that could have been the flu within a day for my husband — overnight!
I do this routine regularly when I start hearing people around me are getting sick. It seems to work every year and keeps me from getting the flu shot. Everyone has their own ideas about vaccines. Having been vaccine injured at the age of 7 and paralyzed for 2 weeks, I tend to avoid all vaccines and work diligently to keep my immune system strong and healthy.
What do you think? Would you try these things? Do you have favorites for immunity? Share in comments or join the discussion we are having over on Facebook.
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019