This dish can be cooked as a millet pilaf or a millet loaf of “bread” that is nutty tasting and satisfying for a Thanksgiving main meal!
Overnight Preparation Time
You may want to start soaking the millet the night before you want to make this dish (soak for 8 – 12 hours). The recipe itself takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 15 – 20 minutes to simmer on the stovetop.
Servings: 4 – 6
- 2 cups presoaked millet
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried burdock root (you can get organic dried burdock root from www.mountainroseherbs.com) or fresh burdock root, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons astragalus powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add soaked millet and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add spices, sea salt, astragalus root powder and burdock root.
- Simmer until millet is completely cooked and the grains are translucent and fluffy.
- Add coconut oil and stir thoroughly. If you are eating this as a millet pilaf, it is now ready to serve with your favorite vegetable side dish.
- If you are making millet loaf, let the cooked millet pilaf sit for 15 minutes to cool. Once cooked, transfer into a greased bread loaf pan and cook in a pre-heated oven at 300°F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Slice like bread, spread on some coconut oil, raw butter or ghee, if you like and serve with salad and cultured vegetables or with a vegetable soup, like the Kale Carrot Soup in Loving Yourself to Great Health.
Download or Print the Complete Thanksgiving Menu with the Entire List of Recipes
Most of these recipes can be prepared 2–3 days before serving to make your kitchen time easier and give you more time to connect with friends and family on Thanksgiving day. Remember to ask your loved ones to pitch in and your guests to bring one of these side dishes! View the Complete Thanksgiving Menu…
(Visited 947 times, 1 visits today)
The following two tabs change content below.
As a coach, writer and recovered former executive, I understand the challenges of creating a balanced, healthy lifestyle when over-scheduled. In my journey to radiant health, I created a whole health system of eating, exercise, renewal and recharging -- a roadmap toward health & vitality. I empower clients to create their own whole health systems, in their own unique ways. I have seen amazing results in working with my clients!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019