This fermented nut and seed dairy free cheesecake is so good that you won’t believe it’s not the real thing! Plus, it has the added benefit of being good for you. Fermenting nuts and seeds is easier than it sounds and you can get some delicious results that help your gut heal! The crust is optional, but makes a nice presentation if you want a real cheesecake look.
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, soaked overnight
- 2 cups Brazil nuts, soaked overnight
- 1 cup of your favorite probiotic liquid or you can open 4 – 6 probiotic capsules and mix them in 1 cup water. (If using a probiotic liquid, use a high quality probiotic liquid, like this one)
- 2 TBL coconut oil
- 3 TBL ghee (or substitute with 3 TBL coconut oil)
- 2 TBL vanilla extract
- Natural sweetener options:
- 1 cup organic erythritol or xylitol (made from birch, not corn) are great options that do not feed candida yeast. You can get the erythritol and birch xylitol at www.globalsweet.com). Keep in mind that these sweeteners can be challenging on the small intestine for people with intestinal issues. Dates and honey may be better options if you follow the GAPS diet.
- Dates – Puree 1 cup pitted organic medjool dates (if you use dates, puree them first in your food processor before adding any other ingredients)
- 1 cup organic raw honey.
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1.5 cups almonds (Soaked for 8 – 12 hours and drained)
- 1 cup ground flax seeds (Soaked 8 – 12 hours. The mixture will be thick and sticky from the water absorbing in. This will help hold the crust together. Drain off excess water).
- 4 TBL raw almond butter
- 4 TBL Coconut Oil
- 1 cup natural sweetener (options to consider: organic medjool dates or raw organic honey are my favorite options for GAPS and SCD. If you like, you could use, organic erythritol and xylitol (made from birch) instead. You can get the erythritol and birch xylitol at www.globalsweet.com).
- 2 TBL vanilla extract
Night Before Preparation
- Soak all nuts and seeds for 12 – 24 hours. Either put each nut and seed in its own separate glass bowl to soak or combine the macadamia and Brazil nuts in one bowl and the flax seeds and walnuts in another bowl (To soak, cover with water and leave out in a covered glass container. This removes the anti-nutrients in nuts and seeds that makes them difficult to digest).
- After soaking, drain water from the nuts and seeds and rinse (Except for the flax seeds because the water will have absorbed and made a gel/paste like consistency. This is good because it helps everything stick together without having to use rasins or dates, which are often too sweet for people with candida yeast).
Cheesecake Filling Preparation Directions
- To make the cheesecake filling: Put the macadamia and Brazil nuts into a food processor (with the S-blade) or high speed blender (if you have a Vitamix, Blendtec or high speed blender, you can often get a more “whipped” consistency, which can be nice, but it all works!). Blend it up smooth.
- Add in the probiotic liquid or probiotic powder and blend. Some fermented nut recipes use Rejuvelac, which can be problematic for people with candida yeast issues. Instead, I like to use a high quality probiotic liquid or powder because it is fermented from organic, healthy grains and seeds that can help colonize your gut with good bacteria, which helps improve digestion. Adding these high quality probiotics is necessary to ferment your nuts and seeds. If you do not have any probioitic liquids on hand, you can use the powder from some probiotic capsules (about 1 TBL or about 4 – 6 capsules).
- Let this mixture sit in a covered, air tight glass container for 24 hours. You can leave it on your countertop (do not refrigerate). This will allow the nuts to ferment.
- After 24 hours, pour the mixture back into your blender or food processor or blender. Add the natural sweetener, coconut oil, ghee, sea salt and vanilla and blend up. Taste and see if you need to add anything else (like natural sweetener, a pinch of sea salt, more ghee to give it a dairy-like flavor or more vanilla). Make sure you like the taste before continuing with the recipe. Everyone’s tastes are a bit different. Set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to add to the crust.
Crust Preparation Directions
- Put almond butter and flax seeds into your food processor with the S-blade or blender and blend up smooth. Add remaining ingredients and blend up.
- Press mixture about 1 inch thick into a pie dish or baking pan.
- Add cheesecake filling on top and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019