Personal care products, like makeup, shampoo, body lotion, hairspray and related products expose the average person to 123 toxins before they leave the house in the morning!
In a 2009 address to the International Cooperation on Cosmetic Regulation (ICCR) forum, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) called for new regulations because their research found that…
“nearly 90 percent of ingredients in personal care products have not been assessed for safety and many contain ingredients that are known toxins like mercury and lead that are linked to very serious health problems. Cosmetics do not have to be approved as safe by the FDA before they are sold. As a result, they can contain hazardous ingredients banned in other countries.”
With some clients, we start our work together just having them go through their bathroom shelves gathering all of their personal care products and then we create healthier replacements for them. This allows them to get immediate relief from a variety of toxins before even having to make nutritional changes.
Removing toxins relieves your body and your liver. It allows you to get some healing space so that you can move on to other things. It’s the perfect first step if you are not ready to change your diet.
Want to Get Started? Here’s how:
- Get a box, paper bag or some other container. Gather up all of your personal care products — all those things you use when getting ready in the morning (toothpaste, lotion, facial care products, cosmetics, shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.). Don’t throw them away (yet)! Make a list first, then begin replacing them. You don’t have to do this all at once! Take your time.
- Now make a plan to get replacements – I’m here to help! You can either go to the Environmental Working Group’s database to look products up or ask right here and I’m happy to share options with you. In fact, I bet if we all discuss this together, we’ll find out what has worked for others and learn even more, so let’s talk about it here!
- Little by little, as you find replacements, throw away your old toxic personal care products and replace them with new ones. You will be amazed at how good you feel over time! You will also be speaking with your dollars — telling manufacturers that you support natural, healthy options for personal care through your purchases. Yay!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019