Fish is wonderful for thyroid, brain and heart health, but how do you make sure you’re choosing healthy, seasonal and sustainable options? Heather spoke with Chef Rob Ruiz about sustainability on Hay House Radio the other day. Chef Rob has just won the prestigious International Ocean Award for bringing together scientists and the community for sustainable marine practices.
Fish is a great source of iodine, which is a wonderful mineral for thyroid health, energy, and metabolism. Many fish contain bioactive peptides, which provide antioxidants and protective properties for the heart, as well as inhibit cancer, type 2 diabetes, and inflammation.
Fish broth in general can be a very affordable and easy way to make bone broth at home.
Dashi Fish Stock by Rob Ruiz
from The Bone Broth Secret: A Culinary Adventure in Health, Beauty and Longevity
- Hands-on prep time: 15 minutes
- Total prep time: 2 hours
- Yield: 3–4 quarts of stock or broth
- 1 sheet of kombu seaweed
- 2 cups katsuobushi or bonito flakes
- Fill your stockpot with 6 cups water and add the sheet of kombu. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, set your burner to medium and bring the water to a simmer. Just before the water starts to boil, remove the kombu and turn the heat to high until the water boils. Note: If you leave the kombu in the broth, it could get slimy or create a bitter taste, which is why it’s removed after the nutrients have soaked into the water.
- You can discard the kombu in your compost bin. Some people like to save and eat this tough sea vegetable by cutting it up thin or pureeing it, then adding to thick soups or stews. Let the water boil for about 5 minutes. Add the katsuobushi or bonito flakes and immediately turn off the heat, allowing the pot to sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, strain the stock through a colander, capturing the stock in a large bowl or ladling into jars. Use as the basis of soups, sauces, and stir-fry dishes.
For a limited time, with your purchase of The Bone Broth Secret, Louise and I are giving away a booklet with 25 additional free recipes, including our So Smooth Skin Remedy. This is great for smoother, softer, firmer skin and reduces the appearance of cellulite. While we give you options to customize the recipe, it contains coffee essential oil (boosts the master detox antioxidant, glutathione), juniper and lavender as the base, along with sweet almond oil and bone broth.
Then we have options you can add, like turmeric and black pepper essential oil (anti-inflammatory and skin-healing stars), rosemary and sweet orange essential oil (another glutathione booster for detox).
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019