When I first arrived in Thailand, I saw this bright purple drink. It looked like Kool Aid. No thanks, I thought. And then I saw the beautiful purple dried flowers. “The purple color is natural from the flowers,” my foodie tour guide, Deang, told me.
I asked for some with no sugar. And it was delicious! Served iced with some lime, the inner child in me was delighted with the bright purple, natural color!
At the food markets in Chiang Mai, I saw giant bags of these beautiful dried flowers and wished I could take them home with me. As I asked why this tea is so popular in every market and restaurant, here’s what I learned….
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Benefits
- Enhances moods and memory
- Improves eyesight
- Reduces stress
- Supports skin and hair
- Helps reduce pain and inflammation
- Has anti-cancer properties
- Aids digestion and circulation
- Anti-aging and supports collagen, Like many other foods and herbs in Thailand!
- Can be used for natural food coloring (blue, purple)
- Want to make fun drinks for a party (or kids’ party?) – You can get all kinds of colors with this tea!
The taste is described as earthy, and I thought it tasted a lot like kukicha twig green tea — a mild, delicious, grounding flavor. Add a little lemon or lime and you’ve got a great natural detox drink.
You can find the dried flowers in Asian markets, some health food stores and online at Amazon.
Here’s How to Make the Tea
- 2 cups water
- 10 dried butterfly pea flowers (or about 2 teaspoons)
Boil the water, remove from heat and add the butterfly pea flowers. Allow to steep for 5 – 8 minutes or until the water cools. The longer it steeps, the deeper purple the color. If you want a lighter purple or blue color, dilute with water until you get the color you want. Add lemon or lime and sweeten with honey or stevia, if desired. Serve hot or iced.
Here’s to your inner child and your health!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019