If you have anxiety, depression, insomnia, gut issues, bacterial overgrowth, or inflammation, you will love these two delicious foods!
I love coming across medicinal foods in supermarkets when visiting other countries. In Chiang Mai, Thailand, I found organic black sesame paste/tahini and dried jujube dates in the supermarket. While you can find these foods online and at some Asian markets, they aren’t always easily found at health food stores and markets in the U.S.
First, The Jujube Date
Yum. Fresh, they are like little apples with a similar, yet more sour flavor. Dried, they taste more like dates, but the color is red and they are cream-colored on the inside. They are less sweet than dates and the flesh is more “airy” and dry.
Packed with potassium, they provide these benefits:
- Brain health – helps with anxiety, depression, memory and are generally brain-protective.
- Sleep – often used in Chinese medicine to treat insomnia.
- Gut-health – aids constipation, diarrhea and gut issues like bacterial overgrowth, IBS and candida.
- Anti-aging – support longevity
- Anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory – a powerhouse for fighting pathogens and inflammation.
- Anti-histamine – can help stabilize mast cells and reduce allergies.
Now, For Black Sesame Paste (or Butter)
If you love tahini (sesame butter), you’ll love black sesame paste. It’s got a slightly milder taste and if tahini gives you gut issues, the black sesame paste is much gentler on the gut. The earthy, slightly bitter taste offsets the light sweetness of the jujube dates beautifully, creating balance.
(Heads up – balanced taste means more brain-body satisfaction and fewer cravings!)
Black sesame paste benefits:
- Nutrient-rich in minerals, protein and B vitamins for better moods and energy.
- Aids memory
- Cancer preventative
- Gut-health – relieves indigestion and constipation (fiber for bulk and fats help lubricate intestines)
- Heart health – contains magnesium to support healthy blood pressure and heart health.
- Strong bones – supports bone density
This is a snack I truly enjoy for the taste and health benefits. Good health is delicious when we know what foods to reach for. To me, this is way better than candy or commercial desserts on the market. I hope you try it out and see for yourself!
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019