Love pudding? Me too!
Since we are in the season of liver detox, this dessert is satisfying and has health benefits! Chokeberries (aronia berries) are a traditional Native American medicinal food with cancer preventative properties that are chock full of vitamin C and antioxidants. They are also known to support cardiovascular health and digestive health, along with reducing inflammation.
* Substitutions offered for vegetarians/vegans
- 5 Granny Smith apples, cut up
- 1/3 cup chokeberries (you can get dried organic chokeberries, also called aronia berries, online)
- 2 medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons ghee (substitute with coconut oil if desired)
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 3 inch stalk lemongrass, fresh (you can substitute with 1 teaspoon ground lemongrass, you can buy dried organic lemongrass online and grind it in a spice grinder or coffee grinder)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Add all or some of these digestion-enhancing, blood sugar balancing, anti-inflammatory spices:
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Pinch fenugreek
Optional: For collagen and thickening into a pudding
- Add 1/2 cup water into a saucepan with chopped ginger and lemongrass and chokeberries. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass from the water, saving the water (save your fresh lemongrass to make a cup of tea later!).
- Add remaining ingredients to the pan of water and simmer on low until apples are slightly soft, about 8 minutes.
- If you are adding the optional gelatin, put the gelatin into 1/4 cup room temperature water and mix thoroughly, allow to sit for 5 minutes to thicken and soak up the water.
- Remove the pan from heat and blend thoroughly in a blender (adding thickened gelatin if desired). Blend completely.
- Cool and serve or chill in the refrigerate for a pudding or cold applesauce treat. Reheat for a warm dessert or snack.
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019