Hay House Radio Episode Recap
- Episode Name: “Adrenal Fatigue: Symptoms & Solutions”
- Live Broadcast: February 13th, 2017 at 3:00 pm Pacific Time
Episode Summary Re-cap
We’ll reveal real solutions with nutrition, lifesytle and energy medicine.Adrenal fatigue affects at least 66% of people worldwide, causing chronic fatigue, hormone imbalance, insomnia, cravings, weight gain, brain fog, anxiety and depression and more. Discover why it is so common and what you can do to heal.
Special Guest: Dondi Dahlin Dondi is the daughter of Donna Eden a leader in the field of Energy Medicine and founder of Eden Energy Medicine. Dondi has a diverse background, having grown up in the world of Energy Medicine and show business!
She is a member of the Screen Actors Guild, and won the titles of both “Belly Dancer of the Universe” and “Outstanding Speaker in the Nation.” She has performed in over 30 countries, and is one of the few American dancers to have had a successful career in the Middle East. She has even performed for celebrities, such as: Omar Sharif, Angie Dickinson, Peter Fonda, and Jimmy Buffet.
Dondi co-authored The Little Book of Energy Medicine with her mother, Donna. She also just finished her own book, The Five Elements, which will be released by Tarcher in 2016. She also created “The Wednesday Energy Minutes” which are 60-second clips based on Energy Medicine techniques and filmed at locations across the globe.
Dondi travels with her Mom, Donna Eden spreading Eden Energy Medicine and the Five Elements through international workshops, and she is a sought-after speaker and MC for conventions and conferences.
Adrenal Fatigue: Symptoms & Solutions
Adrenal Fatigue – A Modern Epidemic?
Adrenal fatigue affects at least 66% of people worldwide, causing chronic fatigue, hormone imbalance, insomnia, cravings, weight gain, brain fog, anxiety and depression and more.
Interestingly, there is some controversy regarding this condition. While natural health practitioners recognize adrenal fatigue as a syndrome that occurs when the adrenals are overworked and no longer produce sufficient quantities of hormones needed for vibrant energy and overall wellness, allopathic medicine does not accept it as a medical diagnosis.
In allopathic medicine, they only recognize the extreme ends of the spectrum, Addison’s disease (not enough cortisol) and Cushing’s disease (too much cortisol). Unfortunately, by the time one has reached this point, it can be more difficult to treat. There are signs well in advance that allow us to make changes.
How to Recognize and Resolve Adrenal Fatigue
Adrenal fatigue can be a challenge to recognize because of the wide-ranging signs and symptoms. Some of the most common include:
- Fatigue, especially in the early morning and mid-afternoon
- Unrefreshing sleep or difficulty getting out of bed in the morning, even after a full eight hours
- The feeling that everyday tasks take too much effort
- A sense of overwhelm over even small things
- Increased energy and alertness in the evening
- Difficulty bouncing back from stress or illness
- Cravings for salty or sweet foods
- Reliance on caffeine or stimulants for energy
- Anxiety or depression
- Brain fog (forgetfulness or lack of mental clarity)
- Blood sugar swings
- Cold hands and feet
- Digestive problems (such as gas, bloating, and nausea)
- Extreme tiredness after exercise
- Hair loss
- Hormone imbalances or increased premenstrual or perimenopausal symptoms
- Lightheadedness or blood pressure changes when getting up rapidly from sitting or lying down
- Low libido
- Mood swings
- Skin problems
- Sleep disorders (difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep)
- Weight gain or loss
As you can see, the range of possible symptoms is very broad, and it’s important to know that there may be reasons other than adrenal fatigue for many of these. If you regularly experience a number of these symptoms, it’s best to work with your health practitioner to rule out other potential causes.
Testing for Adrenal Fatigue
There are a variety of tests you can talk with your health practitioner about. My favorites are:
- Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA) – this is a hair test that gives you information about minerals and heavy metal levels in your body. It gives you a good indication of the health of your thyroid, adrenals and other systems in your body and how you can rebalance your minerals. Morley Robbins is an excellent wellness practitioner who can do the test and consult on your results. Learn more about getting an HTMA with Morley here: www.GotMag.org.
- Saliva Hormone Test – This is a measure of free cortisol levels within cells, and it can be more accurate than blood and urine tests.1(p83),[i] The saliva test that is performed four times in one day is the most helpful because you can see how your cortisol fluctuates throughout the day.
- DUTCH (Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones) – This is one of the newer tests where urine is collected on test strips and dried. This collection method allows you to see changes in cortisol patterns from morning to night. This test gives you the advantages of the saliva hormone test and the 24-hour urine cortisol test in one. Results show free cortisol, other hormones, and hormone metabolites.
Energy Medicine to Boost & Protect Your Energy
Which Element Are You? Take Dondi’s 5 Elements Quiz
Take a short 5 elements quiz here to learn which elements apply to your personality.
Energy Medicine Tips to Balance Adrenal Fatigue
Here are some excellent short “Energy Minutes” videos to boost and protect your energy
Boost Your Energy with Kidney 27 (K27) Points – these points help to ensure that your energies are moving in a forward direction. Tapping these points is an excellent way to feel more energized when tired or boost energy reserves.
Wayne Cook Posture – The Wayne Cook Posture can help if you are thinking too much or experiencing insomnia. It’s named after Bioenergetics force field researcher Wayne Cook, who used technique for treating ADD, dyslexia and stuttering. It can also help when you need to speak in front of an audience, speak your truth in a relationship, or for mood challenges, confusion, obsessiveness, compulsivity, disorganization and excessive anger.
Triple Warmer Smoothie – If you want to release stress, tension, anxiety, or fear, the Triple Warmer Smoothie is for you! This exercise also helps with hot flashes!
Daily Energy Routine – This daily energy routine is fantastic for helping to boost and protect your energy. This routine takes only five minutes and is incredibly good when done each day.
Daily Energy Routine 30-Day Challenge: February 2017 is Daily Energy Routine month! Go here to watch videos and be led through the Daily Energy Routine.
Lifestyle Tips to Resolve Adrenal Fatigue
Here are some lifestyle tips to help you resolve adrenal fatigue:
- Decide you are worth it. It’s all right to put yourself first and everyone else second as a form of self-care.
- Put white space in your calendar. This is free time that enables you to rest or take a break and allows for the unpredictable things that can happen.
- Ask for help. Find ways to share the load with others.
- Do one thing at a time. Although you may feel you get more done when multitasking, it actually reduces productivity while creating stress and adversely affecting brain health.
Nutrition & Supplement Tips to Nourish Your Adrenals
- Nourish your body with whole foods. Eating sugary and processed foods will sabotage your adrenal health efforts. Your adrenals require nutrients, such as minerals, B vitamins, and vitamin C. These critical nutrients are often in short supply in fast and processed foods, and too much sugar actually depletes your body of them.
- Focus on healing your gut. Many people with adrenal fatigue have underlying gut issues, which affects the body’s ability to digest and assimilate nutrients. Foods such as bone broth and naturally fermented foods can help you heal your gut. Bone Broth is an excellent food to heal and seal your gut. Learn more about bone broth.
- Keep your blood sugar stable. If you normally skip breakfast or other meals or if you are always following low-calorie diets, your adrenals may be suffering. These behaviors can lead to low blood sugar, which is a body and brain emergency. Make sure to eat wholesome meals and snacks when you are hungry.
- Vitamin B12 – If you have a chronic condition, vitamin B12 can help boost energy, aid digestion and help heal your nervous system. A great all-around sublingual B12 supplement is Active B12 by Seeking Health. If you have multiple chronic conditions, you may want to start low and slow with B12 because there can be startup symptoms as your body and nervous system begins to wake up and heal. In this case, consider Jarrow Methyl B12 Lozenges, starting at 500 mcg. Learn more about B12 deficiency symptoms.
- Mineral Supplement – Most people are deficient in minerals, which can result in low energy. Minerals nourish the adrenals, help us deal with stress, raise energy levels and support many physical and emotional systems. My favorite is Anderson’s Sea MD (use affiliate link). Anderson’s has a wide base of minerals. Here’s a great mineral and adrenal support recipe.
- PQQ – Pyrroloquinoline quinone is a micronutrient with antioxidant and anti-aging properties that helps produce energy at the mitochondrial level. It also helps the mitochondria—the energy centers within your cells—reproduce, regenerate, and repair themselves. Seeking Health PQQ is a fast-acting sublingual.
- CoQ10 – Coenzyme Q10 is another micronutrient that protects the mitochondria from oxidative damage and supports energy production. Both CoQ10 and PQQ tend to be very helpful in resolving adrenal fatigue. My favorite for of CoQ10 is Ubiquinol by Pure Encapsulations. It’s on the pricey side. You can find a more budget-friendly alternative from Seeking Health CoQ10.
Hay House Wisdom Community Members can listen to this show again anytime, and you can download and podcast this and over 10,000 archived audios from your favorite authors.
Tune in Next Week
Tune in next week to Loving Yourself to Great Health, Lisa Schulz joins me to discuss how to find hope in your healing process, along with revealing solutions for mind-body-spirit health. You will discover new inspiration to progress on your health journey.
JOIN ME EVERY TUESDAY AT 12PM PACIFIC
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Listening to Your Gut and Heart - April 24, 2019
- Breaking Through Resistance: Following Creative Energy - April 16, 2019
- Love Intuition: Follow the Energy to True Love - April 10, 2019