On a warm summer day, when you are feeling stressed out and depleted, this powerhouse antioxidant smoothie will help you bounce right back! Need some energy for the rest of the week or a busy weekend? Need to replenish your blood sugar and boost your mood? Want a delightful anti-inflammatory that boosts brain health, balances moods and puts some pep in your step?
This smoothie is especially wonderful toward the end of summer, when you are in the season between later summer and fall. This special time of year, many people can feel a whirlwind of energy that like to call the between season turbulence!
Remember your last plane trip.
If you experienced turbulence, you have a choice. Stay calm or let fear take over. The same is true for this time of year. We have the opportunity to observe the turbulence of energy swirling around us and trust that it’s part of our cosmic plane trip from late summer to fall!
Let’s all affirm: All is well!
Some of the most antioxidant-rich foods on the planet today are herbs and spices! The vegetables and fruits that still contain high antioxidants are those with color. This smoothie takes advantage of top antioxidant-rich fruits. You get healthy vegan fats from avocado and coconut oil. And you get red leaf lettuce, which is super high in antioxidants in the veggie family.
In the spices category, you have digestive help with cinnamon and cardamom, anti-inflammatory turmeric paired with black pepper, which helps turmeric absorb into your body and is also a metabolism booster. To build on metabolism benefits, fenugreek aids weight loss. Fennel is great for digestion and can provide wonderful relief for gas and bloating.
You’re giving your body a reboot with this smoothie!
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 4 cups red leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup flat parsley leaves (can use stems too!)
- 1/4 cup avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped red apple (Granny Smith and Gala are a nice option and most antioxidant rich in the apple family)
- 2 TBL coconut oil
- 1 cup water (start with one cup, blend and add more if you want a thinner consistency)
You can customize if you want all or just a couple of these spices. If you really need a pick me up, try all of them. Otherwise, customize based on your favorites. Each of these has different medicinal benefits and together, they make a nice, balanced taste and are very rejuvenating.
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1.5 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Stevia to taste (Taste first, then begin by adding 3 drops of liquid stevia, taste and add a few more if necessary. You can also try a date or 1 tsp honey, if stevia doesn’t work for you.)
- Put all ingredients, except stevia, in your blender and blend thoroughly.
- Taste and add desired amount of stevia.
Are you feeling the energy of between season turbulence in your life?
How are you navigating the turbulence?
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Are You A Generational Pattern Shifter? Free Yourself from the Rules - April 25, 2017
- How to Heal with Herbs - April 18, 2017
- Bitter Fennel Digestive Pastilles - April 18, 2017