Hay House Radio Episode Recap
- Episode Name: “The Secret Link: Brain Health and Weight Loss”
- Live Broadcast: August 29th, 2016 at 3:00 pm Pacific Time
Episode Replays: Mondays at 11:00 pm Pacific Time / 2:00 am Eastern Time and Sundays at 2:00 pm Pacific Time / 5:00 pm Eastern Time
Episode Summary Re-cap
The health of your brain determines whether you are happy, healthy and reaching your goals in life
Today, Heather welcomes integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary to the show and reveals the secret link for brain health, gut health and weight loss based on integrative neurology and ancient nutritional wisdom. Learn steps you can take today to boost your brain health.
Special Guest: Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary
Dr. Chaudhary’s combined expertise in both modern neurology and the ancient science of health known as Ayurveda has uniquely positioned her as an expert able to pull from the broadest possible base to treat her clients. She is passionate about raising awareness for the need of a paradigm shift in contemporary medicine that focuses on patient empowerment and a health-based (rather than disease-based) medical system. Dr. Chaudhary is a regular guest on the Dr. Oz show, where her teachings about Ayurvedic medicine have been applauded by a national audience.
Dr. Chaudhary was the Director of Wellspring Health in Scripps Memorial Hospital for ten years, and remains a pioneer in the field of Integrative Medicine. Dr. Chaudhary has successfully developed a powerful system to manage chronic neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and migraine headaches, by incorporating fundamental changes in diet, behavior, and stress, in addition to the standard allopathic approach to these issues. This program has been so successful that many patients now use it not just for neurological issues but also for a wider range of health concerns, including weight issues and chronic disease.
creating a new model for healthcare…Dr. Chaudhary now serves as the Chief Medical Officer for New Practices, Inc. where she is changing allopathic medical practices into healing centers using compassion-based health coaching, meditation, and integrative medicine to combat chronic diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, obesity, coronary heart disease, addictions, and more.
She also oversees ongoing research in management and reversal of chronic disease through lifestyle intervention. Dr. Chaudhary is creating a new model for healthcare that is based on teaching patients the principles of health and personal transformation in an environment of compassion, empowering them to live in a way that promotes maximum healing and vitality.
Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary is also a neuroscientist. She has participated in over twenty clinical research studies in the areas of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, ALS, and diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Her research includes groundbreaking work in stem cell therapies for diabetic peripheral neuropathy and drug development for the treatment of ALS.
Tips for Improving Brain Health & Losing Weight
Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary revealed why her patients, who came to her with neurological conditions, not only experienced improvements in brain health, but also healed their gut and lost weight. The weight loss was an unintended side effect to nourishing their brain and body with a program that she wrote a book about called, The Prime.
“What you eat becomes your mind. As is the food, so is your mind.”
– Ayurvedic Proverb
Four Stages of The Prime for Brain Health, Gut Repair & Weight Loss
Stage 1: Activate a Biochemical Shift
- Make a tea with ½ teaspoon each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and fennel seeds in 4 – 5 cups of water to sip all day long. Let the water boil for 5 minutes with the seeds. Take it to work in a thermos.
- Add fiber with 1 teaspoon each of ground flax seeds and psyllium husks every other night in room temperature water.
- Triphala – a wholefood herbal supplement made from 3 berries that has a detoxifying effect on the body. It helps move your colon in a gentle manner and helps to repair the gut. Aim for 1,000 milligrams per day to start. Dr. Kulreet likes Organic Digest Tone Triphala Plus by VPD.
- Dry skin brushing (garshana) – a detoxification process that involves exfoliating the skin before bathing, dry skin brushing removes dead layers of skin and supports lymphatic health. Dr. Kulreet recommends using a raw silk glove, which can be purchased online.
Stage 2: Crush Cravings (No Willpower Required!)
In this stage you are using the biochemistry of health to fight the biochemistry of cravings and addictions. The reason we get cravings or addictions is due to the brain’s neuroadaptive response. Neuroadaptation is the brain’s amazing ability to adapt to whatever you do to your body.
Eat a lot of sugar? Your brain adapts. Drink a lot of coffee? Your brain adapts.
Highly processed food has a neurological impact similar to the impact of a drug. They create an extreme pleasure response – more extreme than you should get from food – and the brain responds accordingly by adjusting to the extreme stress of too much pressure.
Some ways you can create more balance in your body to crush cravings:
- Ashwagandha – take 400 – 500 mg of this adaptogenic herb every morning with breakfast and every evening before dinner to crush sugar cravings.
- Brahmi – balance your brain with 400 – 500 mg every morning with breakfast and every evening before dinner.
- Prime Juice and Prime Broth – The Prime includes recipes for vegetable juice for easily digested nutrients and bone broth to help repair the gut lining.
- Cravings Journal – write down how and when you experience cravings, along with how you feel at the time you experience them, so that you can become aware of when they show up.
Stage 3: Ignite Energy & Fat
- Guggul – take 500 mg of this powerful detoxifying herb every morning and every evening. Guggul supports your liver and helps your body respond appropriately to foods.
- Fat-Burning Curry Powder – Combing the following spices will create a fat-burning powder that lasts for about a month. Aim for ½ to 1 teaspoon per day in food or water to start:
- 8 teaspoons each of: ground cumin seed, ground coriander seed, ground fennel seed, dried ginger powder.
- 4 teaspoons each of turmeric powder and amla powder.
- Ginger Gut Flush – Combine ½ cup fresh lemon juice, 1 inch peeled fresh ginger and ½ teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt. Put the juice into a lidded jar (strain out seeds), cut the ginger into thin, 1-inch strips and add them to the lemon juice. Add the salt to the mixture ans stir until the salt dissolves. Cover and refrigerate. Eat one to two pieces of the soaked fresh ginger before each meal.
Stage 4: Biohack Your Lifestyle Habits
- Make Lunch Your Largest Meal.
- Warm it Up – Drink room temperature water or tea instead of ice cold beverages. Cook your meals. Skip raw vegetables until your digestion heals. If you want a salad, warm it in a skillet or put hot food on top of it to warm it up.
- Meditate – Start with a small space of time and work your way up.
- Early to Bed – Going to bed at 10 pm allows your body to take advantage of healing time. Start going to bed 30 minutes earlier each week until you get to the 10:00 pm bedtime.
Learn More Tips for Brain Health, Gut Health & Weight Loss
This is the fast, healing Ayurvedic thermos soup recipe that my doctor gave me when I first started to recover my gut health.
Hay House Wisdom Community Members can listen to this show again anytime, and you can download and podcast this and over 10,000 archived audios from your favorite authors.
JOIN ME EVERY MONDAY AT 3PM PACIFIC | 6PM EASTERN