Over the past couple of weeks, I have worked with clients on things as diverse as reversing chronic fatigue, creating a nutritional protocol for undergoing cancer treatment, and resolving nasty colds and flu. This week, I am attending the American College of Nutrition‘s 57th Annual Conference. We have so far learned the latest research from the “Father of the Microbiome” and other MDs, PhDs and experts in using food as medicine. This week, it’s all about switching on genetic expressions for health and switching off genetic expressions for illness/dis-ease.
Each day, I’m navigating how to make healthy lunches that are fast and easy, yet delicious, nourishing and allow me to walk my talk when it comes to health-supporting nutrition. I thought I’d share one of my lunch recipe ideas with you!
This is one of my “hot smoothies,” something I’ve been doing a lot as I create new recipes for clients with digestive challenges who need to heal their gut and support their health goals.
This recipe covers a lot of bases backed by science. It is:
- Cancer-preventative and aids in recovery of cancer
- Helpful for resolving colds/flu
- An inflammation reducer
- Aids in joint health
- Helpful for weight loss
- Helpful for strong bones, healthy hair and skin
- An Energizer
- A liver detoxer
- 4 Cups Chicken Bone Broth (use veggie broth if you’re vegetarian/vegan)
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 TBL raw grassfed butter or ghee (use coconut oil if vegetarian/vegan)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat this up on low until the bone broth has cooked down and the broccoli is soft (10 – 20 minutes). You now have a concentrated, flavorful base.
- Pour into a blender and blend well.
- Serve warm. Or take to lunch or on the road in a stainless steel widemouth insulated container.
- If you like, you can customize the above by adding ginger or garlic (or onion, leek) for added health benefits!
What do you think? Would you take a hot smoothie to work or on the road?
Latest posts by Heather Dane (see all)
- Are You A Generational Pattern Shifter? Free Yourself from the Rules - April 25, 2017
- How to Heal with Herbs - April 18, 2017
- Bitter Fennel Digestive Pastilles - April 18, 2017