Hay House Radio Episode Recap
- Episode Name: “Healing Leaky Gut and Leaky Brain”
- Live Broadcast: January 18th, 2016 at 3:00 pm Pacific Time
Special Guest: Caroline Barringer is the founder and CEO of Immunitrition, a business dedicated to health and healing with nutrition and natural remedies, including a very popular line of real, raw cultured foods. She is the senior lead instructor for the Nutritional Therapy Association (NTA), a Master Certified Healing Foods Specialist (CHFS), Certified Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet Practitioner (CGP), Certified Birth Renaissance Practitioner (BRP), published health author, and teacher.
Caroline’s mission is to change the way the world eats through nutrition education. Through her work with Immunitrition and her upcoming project, Freeway Foodies, Caroline’s goal is to empower people to make healthy food choices for restoring and maintaining a higher quality of life.
Her newest project, “Freeway Foodies,” is a nationwide road tour/Internet TV show that will share holistic resources, showcase people and practitioners, and visit new and exciting places of great influence in today’s rapidly growing healing-arts industry.
Episode Summary Re-cap
scientists are now looking to the gut for answers
Heather Dane and her guest, nutrition expert Caroline Barringer discussed why digestive problems are on the rise and reveal the secret behind the gut-brain connection. Heather and Caroline show you how to heal “leaky gut” and “leaky brain” to improve memory, mood disorders and overall well-being.
Did you know that scientists are now looking to the gut as a possible root cause for conditions like headaches, allergies, low energy, chronic fatigue, acne, eczema, infertility, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, depression, brain fog, insomnia, joint pain, adrenal fatigue and more?
Did you know your gut has a powerful relationship with your brain, including willpower and your moods? Two conditions, leaky gut and leaky brain, are on the rise. We’re going to discover why and how to heal these conditions with natural remedies.
What We Covered in This Episode
Summary of Leaky Gut
Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, said, “All disease begins in the gut.” And it’s only recently that we are seeing doctors and scientists looking to poor gut health as a root cause of wide-ranging physical and mental health conditions.
- 70 to 80 percent of the immune system is located in the gut.
Symptoms of Leaky Gut
- Food sensitivities
- Abdominal pain, distention or bloating
- Allergies (food allergies, environmental allergies)
- Headaches or migraines
- Joint pain or arthritis
- Chronic fatigue
Signs of Leaky Brain
A leaky gut can contribute to oxidative stress or inflammation in the body, causing the blood-brain barrier to become “leaky,” whereby molecules and toxins that are not supposed to enter may get into the brain.
These conditions are associated with a permeable or leaky blood-brain barrier:
- ADD or ADHD
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Anorexia and bulimia
- Brain fog
- Epilepsy or seizures
- Infections of the nervous system such as fungal infections; viral infections; parasites; or bacterial infections that enter the nervous system, like Lyme disease, encephalitis, or meningitis.
- Mood challenges such as anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, or schizophrenia
- Multiple sclerosis
- Tics — brief, involuntary, repetitive, and purposeless, vocalizations or movements, like humming, yelling, shoulder shrugging, eye blinking, or grimacing.
Healing Leaky Gut and Leaky Brain
Foods to Avoid
- GMO foods
- Gluten (some people may need to avoid all grains for a period of time)
- Processed enriched flour
- Table salt
Foods to Emphasize
- Bone Broth – Bone broth has been embraced by many who follow gut-healing diets such as the Paleo Diet, as well as gut-brain healing diets such as the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet. It’s also a staple of people following traditional food practices espoused by organizations like the Weston A. Price Foundation and the Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation.
- Probiotics – real, raw cultured vegetables (no vinegar), homemade kefir and sometimes, kombucha.
- Supplemental Probiotics – Prescript Assist (has native and transient beneficial bacteria), L. casei from CustomProbiotics.com (this single strain beneficial bacteria helps get rid of trapped gas or gas/bloating/distention in the small intestine) or a wide-range of beneficial bacteria in products like GutPro or Custom Probiotics 11-strain.
- Herbs and spices – turmeric and black pepper, cinnamon, clove, thyme, fennel, ginger, caraway seeds, coriander
- Sea salt or Himalayan Salt instead of table salt
- Coconut oil (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral)
- Omega-3 foods like grass fed lamb, grass fed beef and wild salmon.
FREE RECIPE – ROCKET STOCK
A gut-healing, caffeine-free alternative to Bulletproof Coffee by Caroline Barringer and featured in The Bone Broth Secret:
- 1 -2 cups bone broth or healing vegan vegetable elixir
- 1 tablespoon raw pastured butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine warmed broth, sea salt, butter, and coconut oil in a blender. (Remove the center piece in the top of the blender and cover the hole with a folded tea towel—this will allow air to escape, so the hot broth doesn’t blow the lid off your blender.)
- Blend on high for 1–2 minutes. The mixture should be slightly frothy and emulsified.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
- Variation: For added nourishment, you can also whisk in a tablespoon or two of gelatin or collagen peptides (Vital Proteins brand is a good option) after blending your Rocket Stock.
For a limited time, with your purchase of The Bone Broth Secret, Louise and I are giving away a booklet with 25 additional free recipes, including our So Smooth Skin Remedy. This is great for smoother, softer, firmer skin and reduces the appearance of cellulite. While we give you options to customize the recipe, it contains coffee essential oil (boosts the master detox antioxidant, glutathione), juniper and lavender as the base, along with sweet almond oil and bone broth.
Then we have options you can add, like turmeric and black pepper essential oil (anti-inflammatory and skin-healing stars), rosemary and sweet orange essential oil (another glutathione booster for detox).
Tune in Next Week
Tune in next week to Loving Yourself to Great Health, I’ll be talking about the special health concerns for Highly Sensitive People with Dondi Dahlin! See a recent article for more information: “Tips for Energetically Sensitive People” or listen to Dondi’s previous visit on the last radio show.
JOIN ME EVERY MONDAY AT 3PM PACIFIC | 6PM EASTERN